What You'll Need To File FAFSA on the Web

One of the most popular questions we receive is about what you need to file your FAFSA on the Web. Here is a list of the essentials documents required for the FAFSA Application.

  • You will need records of income earned in the year prior to when you will start school. You may also need records of your parents' income information if you are a dependent student.
  • Your Social Security Number. Be sure it is correct!
  • Your driver's license (if any)
  • Your 2013 W-2 Forms and other records of money earned
  • Your (and your spouse's, if you are married) 2013 Federal Income Tax Return.

Get the Guide to the Current FAFSA Form >>

  • IRS 1040, 1040A, 1040 EZ
  • Foreign Tax Return, or
  • Tax Return for Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, the U.S. Virgin Islands, the Marshall Islands, the Federal States of Micronesia, or Palau
  • Your Parents' 2013 Federal Income Tax Return (if you are a dependent student)
  • Your 2013 untaxed income records
  • Veterans benefits records
  • Child support received
  • Worker's compensation
  • Your current bank statements
  • Your current business and investment mortgage information, business and farm records, stock, bond and other investment records
  • Your alien registration or permanent resident card (if you are not a U.S. citizen)

Some students find it helpful to print out the FAFSA Form or a FAFSA Worksheet. If you'd like to practice your FAFSA, download the FAFSA on the Web Worksheet.

FAFSA Help at FAFSA Online