In order to get a Stafford Loan or a Federal Parent PLUS Loan, do I need to fill out a FAFSA?

It's strongly recommended that you always fill out the FAFSA. In addition to being required to qualify for most federal loan programs, like the Stafford Loan program, you may not be eligible for most scholarship and grant programs without filing the FAFSA. The PLUS for graduate students (or GradPLUS) also requires a completed FAFSA form.

The PLUS Loan for parents does not require the FAFSA but some schools may require it for certification. Private student loans are other loans that do not require you to complete the FAFSA.

The ScholarshipPoints scholarship program, which gives away $1,000 in scholarship money every month, is free to join and does not require the FAFSA.

More FAFSA Questions and Answers: