What if I have a non-traditional family situation?

File your FAFSA as best as you can, using estimates and what paperwork you have available. If you have a situation where you just can't get hold of certain paperwork, such as parental income, see your school's financial aid office and ask them to assist you. They may be able to provide additional advice and solutions that are specific to your personal situation.

Ordinarily, we counsel people to file your FAFSA on the web. This is one of those rare instances where filing a paper FAFSA may be helpful, since you'll be able to more easily take a paper form with you to a financial aid counselor for help.

FAFSAOnline's Free FAFSA Book will help you navigate some of the trickiest questions on the FAFSA Form.

More FAFSA Questions and Answers: